I think everyone has vivid memories of eating delicious cinnamon scrolls when they were younger! They were the best! So I decided to recreate them into a vegan, sugar free version! They may take a little effort to make but they’re so so worth it.
VEGAN CINNAMON SCROLLS
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 119 (1435)
- Carbs: 20 (248)
- Fat: 2.25 (27)
- Protein: 3.4 (41)
- Sodium: 0.25 (3.058)
- Sugar: 0.75 (9)
- Preparation time: 45minutes
Cooking time: 20-30 minutes
- Wet ingredients
- 3 tbsp nuttelex
- 1 cup almond milk
- Dry ingredients
- 2 ½ cup SR flour (sub for gluten free flour if needed)
- ½ cup plain flour (sub for gluten free flour if needed)
- ¼ cup Nuvia Baking
- ¼ tsp himalayan salt
- 2 ¼ tsp instant dried yeast
- Nuvia natural sweetener
- 4 tbsp of Nuvia natural sweetener
- 1-2 tsp almond milk
- 1. Turn oven onto 180 degrees celcius, greese and line baking dish.
- 2. Place almond milk and nuttelex in a microwave safe bowl and place in microwave for 1.5 minutes (in 30 sec increments, stirring in between) until nuttelex is melted
- 3. Allow to cool slightly before adding the dried yeast, stirring and allowing to sit for 10-15 minutes to activate.
- 4. In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients together and stir.
- 5. After 15 minutes slowly add wet ingredients to dry ingredients stirring as you go.
- 6. A dough should form, add more flour if end result is too gooey, add more almond milk if end result is too dry.
- 7. Kneed dough into a bowl and place in a floured bowl with glad wrap on top. Leave for 30 minutes to expand
- 8. Flour bench and kneed out the dough, roll out dough so that it is about 3cm thick
- 9. Spread nuttelex over dough until covered, sprinkle cinnamon (to your liking, I like A LOT), finally sprinkle Nuvia natural sweetener (again to liking)
- 10. Roll dough tight into a long coil, squeeze slightly to ensure all layers meet.
- 11. Cut into squares around 10cm long and place in oiled baking dish lined in baking paper.
- 12. Scrolls should be touching sides but not squished in together.
- 13. Place in oven for 20-30 mins, checking after 15 mins
- 14. Once golden brown take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- 15. Mix together Nuvia natural sweetener and almond milk to make an “icing” drizzle over top of cinnamon scrolls and sprinkle with cinnamon to finish
TIPS AND TWEAKS
Substitute normal flour for gluten free if need be, scrolls won’t as fluffy but will still be super delicious
Don’t let dough sit overnight as it becomes dry and results in crunchy scrolls rather than soft and fluffy
Try not to eat all the dough before you make the scrolls (again not speaking from experience)