Ah banana bread. There’s really nothing better than baking a loaf of banana bread on the weekend and indulging in a slice whilst it’s warm. Anyone agree? I created this banana bread with some hidden gems that will elevate your next banana bread and that will certainly become a crowd favourite!
VEGAN CHERRY PIE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 587 (2935)
- Carbs: 66.2 (331)
- Fat: 33.2 (166)
- Protein: 7.4 (37)
- Sodium: 0.34 (1.68)
- Sugar: 13 (65)
- Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30-40 minutes
Makes 5 single serve pies
- 2 cups all purpose flour (substitute for gluten free flour if need be)
- 1 ½ tbsp Nuvia Baking
- ½ tsp himalayan salt
- ½ cup nuttelex
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp of cold water
- 4 ½ cups fresh cherries (pitted and halved)
- ¼ cup corn flour
- 1 ¼ cups Nuvia natural sweetener
- 1. Turn oven onto 180 degrees celcius, grease and line mini pie dishes. (or one large pie dish if preferred)
- 2. Place flour, Nuvia Baking & salt into a medium sized bowl, using softened nuttelex rub into flour to form a “crumb” like consistency.
- 3. In a separate bowl mix together the vegetable oil and water
- 4. Slowly add wet ingredients to flour “crumb” until a dough is formed. Wash hands in cold water to ensure dough doesn’t stick and flour combines properly.
- 5. Kneed dough into a ball and place in glad wrap.
- 6. Place in fridge for minimum of 30 minutes to chill.
- 7. Whilst dough is chilling, prepare cherry filling.
- 8. Pit cherries and cut in half before placing in medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cover and cook until most of the juice has been separated (3-5 minutes).
- 9. Combine the corn flour and Nuvia natural sweetener in a bowl, whilst still hot add cherries and stir well.
- 10. Return pot to the stove and heat over low heat for a few more minutes until mixture thickens, stir frequently to ensure mixture doesn’t burn. Allow to cool.
- 11. Take dough from fridge and roll out until roughly 2cm thickness is achieved.
- 12. Place dough in pie tin, ensuring to press down and remove any excess pieces.
- 13. Once cooled place cherry filling into crust and add lids before poking holes in the top.
- 14. Place in the oven for 25 minutes before checking.
- 15. Pie should be golden brown and still soft to touch.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
Substitute normal flour for gluten free if need be, pies won’t be as soft but will still be super delicious
Don’t let dough sit overnight as it becomes dry and results in crunchy pies rather than soft and fluffy
Try not to eat all the dough before you make the pies (again not speaking from experience)
Overcooking pies will make crust super crunchy and dry.