Rich, nutty, soy glazed tofu with crunchy vegetables and peanuts. This is a healthy spin on a stir-fry take out without anything nasty and no added sugar.
STICKY SUGAR-FREE TOFU STIR-FRY
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 518.5 (1037)
- Carbs: 15.5 (31)
- Fat: 35.5 (71)
- Protein: 28 (56)
- Sodium: 1.035 (2.07)
- Sugar: 7 (14)
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 2 teaspoons ginger paste
- 1 sachet Nuvia Sweetener
- 1 pack firm tofu
- 2 bunches of Chinese broccoli/tenderstem broccoli
- 2 capsicums
- 4 spring onions
- 1 handful toasted peanuts
- 1. Melt the coconut oil in a bowl and mix with all the other ingredients for the sauce.
- 2. Slice the tofu into rectangular chunks and marinade in half of the sauce. Set aside the other half for frying the vegetables.
- 3. Slice the broccoli into 3 pieces on an angle, separating the stalks and the heads.
- 4. Slice the capsicums into strips, discarding the center and the white pith.
- 5. Slice the onion into thin strips and set aside.
- 6. Heat a large wok and fry the broccoli stalks over a high heat for 4 – 5 minutes in a bit of the extra sauce until crunchy and slightly browned. Set aside in a bowl.
- 7. Add the peppers to the same wok and fry over a high heat for 4 – 5 minutes in a bit of the extra sauce until crunchy and slightly browned. Set aside in a bowl.
- 8. Finally repeat the same process with the broccoli heads for 2 – 3 minutes.
- 9. Place the tofu into the same wok and fry on each side for a few minutes until caramelized and browned. For a final minute add any remaining sauce until slightly reduced.
- 10. Mix everything together and serve with the peanuts and spring onions on top.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
You could add brown rice and a fried egg or noodles to this dish dressed in a little extra sesame oil and squeeze of lime.