Don’t let the cooking time discourage you – the longer this dish is left to simmer, the more luscious and tender your sauce and pork will be. You’ll also end up with a delicious, sugar-free, healthy Mexican style sauce that will have everyone coming back for more. Serve with a selection of salads, corn chips, burritos, natural yoghurt, wraps or crusty bread rolls.
Warning: Serviettes needed for sticky fingers!
STICKY MEXICAN SUGAR-FREE PULLED PORK
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 702.6 (3513)
- Carbs: 2.8 (14)
- Fat: 52 (260)
- Protein: 57.8 (289)
- Sodium: 237 (1185)
- Sugar: 2.4 (12)
- Serves 4-6
- 1.2 kg piece of pork scotch fillet, cut into thick slices
- 2 tbsps oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt flakes
- Freshly squeezed juice and grated rind 1 large orange
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tsp each ground ginger, cumin and cinnamon
- ½ – 1 tsp or to taste chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp (18g) Nuvia Sweetener
- 1. Smear the pork slices well with the oil, salt and pepper until coated.
- 2. Brown all over in a hot frying pan until golden brown, remove from pan.
- 3. Deglaze the pan with the orange juice, rind and chicken stock and bring to the boil, stirring to remove all the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- 4. Add the spices, vinegar and Nuvia. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- 5. Return the pork (and any of the juices) to the pan. Cover partially with a lid and simmer 5 –6 hours or until meat is tender. Remove the meat from the sauce and keep warm.
- 6. Boil the sauce uncovered for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- 7. Pull the pork with two forks into tender strips or pieces. Drizzle a little of the sauce over the meat to serve. Serve any extra sauce on the side.
Serve with salad, corn chips, taco shells or warmed bread rolls.