This cake is packed with sweet and juicy apples which are a great source of both soluble and insoluble fibre which is great for your digestive system. I love a slice topped with Greek yoghurt for a delicious healthy snack!
PALEO APPLE CAKE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 179 (2864)
- Carbs: 8.5 (136)
- Fat: 15.3 (244.8)
- Protein: 4.6 (73.6)
- Fibre: 3.3 (52.8)
- Sugar: 3.9 (62.4)
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 450g (about 3) red apples, grated
- 2 tablespoons Nuvia natural sweetener
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups (300g) almond meal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Optional: coconut vanilla frosting
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 2 tbsp Nuvia Baking
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced and line a cake tin with baking paper.
- 2. In a medium bowl, combine the apples, sweetener, eggs, coconut oil and cinnamon.
- 3. Add the almond meal and baking powder and mix well.
- 4. Fold in walnuts then pour into a prepared tin.
- 5. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 6. If making frosting, mix all ingredients together in a bowl and set in the fridge to firm up before using.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
Keeps for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Serve with thick Greek yoghurt, coconut yoghurt or cashew cream.