S’mores are more of an American dessert where chocolate and melted marshmallow are placed between two cookies of some description (usually graham crackers). Since chocolate chip cookies are so delicious, I decided that they would be a suitable replacement for graham crackers. These low carb cookies are a perfect match to a piece of unsweetened chocolate and melted homemade marshmallow to glue it all together.
LOW CARB, CHOC-CHIP COOKIE S'MORES
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 384 (2304)
- Carbs: 9 (54)
- Fat: 35.7 (214.2)
- Protein: 12.2 (73.2)
- Fibre: 4.5 (27)
- Sugar: 1.5 (9)
- Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes + setting time
Makes 6 s'mores
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup Nuvia Baking
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar-free chocolate chips
- 6 squares chocolate (for s'more assembly)
- 1/2 cup water (for sweetener)
- 1/2 cup Nuvia Baking
- 3 tbsp gelatin powder
- 1/2 cup water (for gelatin)
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 C (355 F).
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond flour with the Nuvia Baking, baking powder and salt until well combined.
- 3. In a heatproof container, melt the salted butter in the microwave on high until melted (approx 30 seconds). Pour the melted butter into the flour mixture along with the vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Fold in the sugar free chocolate chips.
- 4. Using a hand mixer, beat the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients until smooth. Beat the eggs in one at a time along with the vanilla extract.
- 5. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Using a tablespoon, scoop out 12 portions of the dough and press into cookie shapes on the baking tray. Cook for 12 minutes, remove and allow to cool completely.
- 1. Place 1/2 cup of water into a pot along with the Nuvia Baking and bring to the boil for 5 minutes.
- 2. While the mixture is heating, in a separate large mixing bowl, place the gelatin powder with the other 1/2 cup of water. Let this mixture sit for at least 5 minutes for the gelatin to bloom.
- 3. Once the Nuvia and water mixture has boiled for 5 minutes, use an electric whisk to slowly combine the hot mixture with the water and gelatine mixture. The hot liquid will melt the gelatin and combine nicely. Beat for 8 minutes until the mixture becomes light, white and fluffy. Pour into a silicone mold (silicone cupcake or mini loaf molds work well for this), and refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.
- 4. To assemble your s'mores, place one chocolate chip cookie upside down, place a square of sugar free chocolate on top, then slice a piece off the cooled marshmallow and heat using a torch (or campfire 😉 ). Place the melted marshmallow on top of the chocolate and top with another chocolate chip cookie.