This is perhaps one of my favourite recipes ever. Who would have thought you could still have epic desserts like caramel slice when you’ve given up sugar! While this one takes a little more prep time, it’s a total crowd pleaser and a great recipe if you’re in the mood to impress. You’ll see the serving amount is quite high, this is because it’s a deliciously sweet and rich recipe, a little goes a long way. I cut them up into little squares and serve them as Caramel Slice Bites! My favourite little addition is a sprinkle of flakey sea salt to make them Salted Caramel Slice Bites… Yum!
KETO CARAMEL SLICE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 323.7 (3884)
- Carbs: 22 (264)
- Fat: 22.6 (271)
- Protein: 7.8 (94)
- Sodium: 0.05 (0.57)
- Sugar: 3.7 (44)
- Preparation and cooking time: 3.5 hours (including chilling time)
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2 tablespoons Nuvia Sweetener
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 50g butter, melted
- Salted Caramel Filling
- 100g butter
- 3 tablespoons Nuvia Sweetener
- 250ml pure cream
- 1 ½ tbsp gelatin
- Chocolate Ganache Topping
- ½ cup pure cream
- 150g dark chocolate
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180℃ and line a 20 cm loaf tin with baking paper.
- 2. To make the base, combine almond meal, Nuvia and sea salt in a bowl. Pour over melted butter and combine until a crumbly dough forms. This works best done by hand. Press into the lined tin and place in the oven for 12–15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile prepare the Caramel Layer. Melt the butter and Nuvia in a small saucepan over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. You want the butter to brown slightly, but not burn. Watch it carefully as once it starts to brown, it can burn easily so remove from the heat when it appears starts appearing to darker in colour.
- 4. Pour in the cream and place the pot back on a medium heat to heat through. You want a gentle simmer but not boiling. Remove from the heat and whisk in the gelatin until dissolved. The mixture will begin to thicken.
- 5. Carefully pour over the base and place in the fridge for 2 hours to set.
- 6. To prepare the chocolate topping, heat up cream and chocolate in a bowl places over gently simmering water. Stir until just combined and spread evenly over the caramel layer and place back in the fridge to set for 1 hour. If you’d like, you can sprinkle over some flakey sea salt, chopped nuts or cacao nibs here.
- 7. Slice into squares and serve, or store in the fridge for up to 5 days.