This recipe is egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and cane-sugar free.
This recipe works perfectly as a moist, afternoon tea cake and also as an adult’s dessert or Christmas cake with a splash of rum 😉
FRUIT & NUT LOAF CAKE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 251.71 (3524)
- Carbs: 24.14 (338)
- Fat: 16.29 (228)
- Protein: 2.86 (40)
- Sodium: 43.36 (607)
- Sugar: 6.00 (84)
- Makes 2 loaves, each weighing 500g and measuring 3 inch x 8 inch
- 2g baking soda
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A good pinch of cinnamon powder
- 250g low-grain gluten-free flour mix
- 2g xanthan gum
- 35g coconut palm sugar
- 160g melted extra virgin coconut oil
- 30-60g Nuvia Sweetener (sweeten to taste)
- 200g unsweetened almond milk + 30g apple cider vinegar
- 45g cashews
- 45g blanched almonds
- 100g mixed dried fruits
- Optional Garnish
- 6 red cherries (sliced in halves) and a sprinkle of chia seeds
- 1. Preheat oven to 150 C and line 2 loaf tins (measuring roughly 3 inch x 8 inch), or one larger tin, with baking parchment.
- 2. Mix the almond milk with the apple cider vinegar in a cup. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- 3. Soak the mixed fruits in hot water for 10 minutes. Drain the water and repeat soaking in hot water 3 more times.
- 4. Drain and rinse the fruits under running tap water. Dry with kitchen paper.
- 5. Spread the cashews and almonds out on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 10 minutes until golden. Allow to cool.
- 6. Sieve the baking soda, spices, flour and xanthan gum into a big bowl. Add coconut palm sugar and mix well. Make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture.
- 7. Pour in the almond milk mixture, coconut oil, Nuvia Sweetener, fruits and toasted nuts. Mix well.
- 8. Quickly spoon the mixture into the loaf-baking pans and make sure they are evenly spread out in the pans.
- 9. If using, place decorative candied cherries on top of the cake batter and sprinkle chia seed over the top. Bake for 70 minutes until the cake if firm to touch and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 10. Remove from oven and leave to cool. After the cake has cooled, flip the baking pans over on a wire rack and peel away the parchment paper to reveal the decorated fruit cake.
- 11. If adding rum, skewer the cake a few times about half way down and gently pour a few splashes over the cake.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
For a non-gluten free recipe, replace the flour and xanthan gum with wheat flour.