This delicious and fragrant soup will warm you up on a cold winters day (or hot summer’s day?)
Serve with crusty bread or papadums.
CURRIED LENTIL SOUP
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 205 (732)
- Carbs: 37.25 (136)
- Fat: 1.25 (5)
- Protein: 11.25 (45)
- Sodium: 1097.5 (4390)
- Sugar: 7.75 (32)
- Cooking and preparation time: approx. 45 minutes
- 1 tbsp red curry paste
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2cm piece ginger, grated
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup red lentils
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 120g baby spinach (optional)
- 1 tsp grated lime rind
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ cup coriander, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 1. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large saucepan over high heat.
- 2. Add curry paste and stir until fragrant.
- 3. Add onion, garlic, ginger, cumin and cinnamon and continue to cook until onion is softened.
- 4. Add lentils, chopped tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil.
- 5. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for approximately 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked. Stir in coriander, lime rind and juice, and spinach (if desired).
- 6. Serve garnished with extra coriander and a dash of coconut milk (optional).
Freeze any leftovers in an airtight container wrapped in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and reheat in a saucepan or microwave adding a little water if thinning out is required.