This recipe is based on a Nigella Lawson recipe. We simply swapped out sugar for Nuvia Baking to create the same result; a moist, rich, classic coffee and walnut cake which is delicious with tea and coffee.
COFFEE WALNUT LAYER CAKE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 548.4 (5484)
- Carbs: 21.2 (212)
- Fat: 46.9 (469)
- Protein: 9.3 (93)
- Sodium: 0.278 (2.78)
- Sugar: 1.7 (17)
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 8-inch cake pans (you could use one and slice it in half once cooked through and cooled. Simply increase the cooking time by 20 minutes).
- 60 ground walnuts (grind in a food processor if you only have whole walnuts available)
- 245g Nuvia Baking
- 250g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 230g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g double cream, at room temperature
- A pinch of salt
- 2 sticks Nuvia Sweetener and 1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 70g whole walnuts, for decoration
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Heat oven to 180 C and butter the cake pans. Line with parchment paper and butter the base and sides again.
- 2. In a food processor or with an electric whisk, combine the ground walnuts and sugar. Cream the butter into the mixture, followed by the eggs one at a time. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and fold together thoroughly.
- 3. Add the milk to the dissolved coffee and fold through the cake mixture. It should be just soft enough to drop off a spoon, if not add a little more milk.
- 4. Divide the batter between two pans and bake until risen and springy to touch, about 25 minutes.
- 5. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the cake pans and remove the baking parchment and allow to cool completely. If they have domed in the oven level off with a knife.
- 6. For the frosting, whisk together the butter, vanilla extract and cream. Add the dissolved coffee and Nuvia Sweetener mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- 7. Place one cake upside down on a plate or cake stand. Spread with about half the frosting. Place the second cake right side up on top and cover the top with the rest of the frosting. Creating a swirly pattern and garnish with walnuts around the side and one in the centre.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
Keeps for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
If it goes slightly hard, heat in a microwave for 30 seconds to soften.