This recipe is based on a Nigella Lawson recipe. We simply swapped out sugar for Nuvia Baking to create the same result; a moist, rich, classic coffee and walnut cake which is delicious with tea and coffee.
COFFEE WALNUT LAYER CAKE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 548.4 (5484)
- Carbs: 21.2 (212)
- Fat: 46.9 (469)
- Protein: 9.3 (93)
- Sodium: 0.278 (2.78)
- Sugar: 1.7 (17)
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 60 ground walnuts (grind in a food processor if you only have whole walnuts available)
- 245g Nuvia Baking
- 250g unsalted butter at room temperature
- 230g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk, at room temperature
- 1 tbsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g double cream, at room temperature
- A pinch of salt
- 2 sticks Nuvia Sweetener and 1 tablespoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 70g whole walnuts, for decoration
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Heat oven to 180 C and butter 2 8-inch cake pans (you could use one and slice the cake in half once cooked through and cooled. Simply increase the cooking time by 20 minutes). Line with parchment paper and butter the base and sides again.
- 2. In a food processor or with an electric whisk, combine the ground walnuts and sugar. Cream the butter into the mixture, followed by the eggs one at a time. Sieve in the flour, baking powder and salt and fold together thoroughly.
- 3. Add the milk to the dissolved coffee and fold through the cake mixture. It should be just soft enough to drop off a spoon, if not add a little more milk.
- 4. Divide the batter between two pans and bake until risen and springy to touch, about 25 minutes.
- 5. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the cake pans and remove the baking parchment and allow to cool completely. If they have domed in the oven level off with a knife.
- 6. For the frosting, whisk together the butter, vanilla extract and cream. Add the dissolved coffee and Nuvia Sweetener mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- 7. Place one cake upside down on a plate or cake stand. Spread with about half the frosting. Place the second cake right side up on top and cover the top with the rest of the frosting. Creating a swirly pattern and garnish with walnuts around the side and one in the centre.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
Keeps for 3 – 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
If it goes slightly hard, heat in a microwave for 30 seconds to soften.