A perfect thrown together breakfast, power snack or dessert; chia puddings are so quick and easy to make and you can totally customise them with whatever ingredients you fancy.
This recipe is naturally vegan, dairy, gluten and sugar free, requires no baking and is packed with whole-grain chia seeds which are loaded with fibre, protein and omega-3 fatty acids (aka skin, nail and hair loving powerhouses). We’ve added protein powder too as having protein in the morning has been proven to help keep hunger at bay throughout the day.
COCONUT CHIA PUDDING
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 132.01 (396)
- Carbs: 8.67 (26)
- Fat: 7 (21)
- Calories: 55.99 (167.97)
- Carbs: 6.66 (20)
- Fat: 2.66 (8)
- Protein: 8 (24)
- Sodium: 137.99 (419)
- Sugar: 1.33 (4)
- Protein: 1.33 (4)
- Sodium: 4.33 (13)
- Sugar: 1.67 (5)
- Makes 2 – 3 puddings
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp vanilla protein powder* (or 1 tbsp raw cacao, nut butter or Greek yogurt)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS / ADD INS
- ½ tbsp unsweetened, nut butter (cashew works perfectly for extra creaminess)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 ½ tbsp granola (watch out for sugar content – aim for less than 10g sugar per 100g portion)
- ⅓ cup blueberries, strawberries or blackberries
- 1 tbsp desiccated or flaked coconut
- 1 tbsp crushed almonds
- 1. Pour the coconut milk, protein powder, chia seeds and vanilla into a bowl and whisk to combine.
- 2. Pour the mixture into your glasses, jars or tupperware.
- 3. Place in the fridge overnight to set (or a minimum of 5 hours until the mixture becomes a pudding-like consistency).
- 4. Bring out of the fridge, add desired toppings and serve. Best served fresh however if storing, cover and place in the fridge for up to 3 days.
When selecting protein powders have a look at the ingredients list to check for added sugars and preservatives. Best to ask for advice in a health food store if you’re feeling overwhelmed with options.
Chia seeds are also a great filling yet healthy bulking ingredient in any smoothie or breakfast.