I designed this salad as a simple liver cleanse to counter balance any slips on the dry January trail ☺
This is how it all works..
– Fennel protects the liver from harmful chemicals.
– Kale provides comprehensive support for the entire detoxification system.
– The enzymes in citrus help to clear the digestive tract and cleanse the liver.
– Not only are walnuts a brain-helping food, but they hold high levels of acid arginine, which aids the liver in detoxifying ammonia & glutathione.
Combined, we have a delicious liver cleansing salad.
CLEANSING PICKLED FENNEL, ORANGE AND KALE SALAD
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion as main meal (whole recipe)
- Calories: 231 (460)
- Carbs: 26.5 (53)
- Fat: 11.5 (23)
- Calories: 183.5 (367)
- Carbs: 1 (2)
- Fat: 20 (40)
- Protein: 8 (16)
- Sodium: 904 (1808)
- Sugar: 14.5 (29)
- Protein: 0 (0)
- Sodium: 1 (2)
- Sugar: 1 (2)
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
Serves 4 people as a side
Serves 2 people as a main meal
- 1 packet of baby kale
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 1/4 red onion, finely sliced (optional)
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta (optional)
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Nuvia Sweetener
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1. Prepare your dressing first; the fastest way to make this dressing is to place all ingredients into an airtight jar and shake, shake till you have a beautifully emulsified dressing! Check the seasoning & add salt or pepper to taste and set aside.
- 2. Next we're going to do a really quick intense pickle of the fennel: in a medium sized bowl place the vinegar, salt and Nuvia Sweetener. Whisk until the Nuvia Sweetener and salt have dissolved.
- 3. Next add your fennel and let it rest in the solution for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes drain the liquid away. (You can keep the liquid in an airtight jar in the fridge for your next pickle)
- 4. In a large serving bowl or platter place your kale as the base. Then lightly mix through 2/3 of the fennel & red onion.
- 5. Next decorate your leafy green kale with the orange, walnuts, remaining fennel and feta if you're adding it.
- 6. Drizzle your delicious dressing over the top and enjoy.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
Add any type of protein to this salad; salmon or chicken would be my choice.
Omit the feta to make it a vegan salad.