If you’ve never used carob before, it’s a deliciously creamy, caffeine-free ingredient used to substitute chocolate and cocoa powder in cakes, cookies, muffins, raw treats and hot drinks. It’s vegan, high in vitamins A and B and comes it comes from a pod in a tree.
Back to the rice crispy bars… These are fuss free, healthy and quick to make if you’re running tight on time or simply want a speedy treat you know everyone will love.
Stick with the pink salt in the ingredients, as it will boost the chocolatey notes in the raw cacao and carob.
And if you haven’t got cacao butter, opt for coconut oil combined with raw nut butter (peanut…almond… macadamia… combo? Experiment!)
Everyone needs a reliable, yummy go-to chocolatey treat. You can share ours.
CHOCOLATE RICE CRISPY TREATS
- Nutritional Breakdown: per bar (whole recipe)
- Calories: 263 (2367)
- Carbs: 5.67 (51)
- Fat: 24.89 (224)
- Protein: 1.22 (11)
- Sodium: 89.44 (805)
- Sugar: 1.33 (12)
- Makes: 9 bars
- 3 cups (90g) puffed rice
- 1 cup (100g) raw shredded cacao butter (yields 1/2 cup (94g) liquid)
- ½ cup (40g) raw cacao powder
- ½ cup (40g) carob powder
- 3 Tbsp (35g) Nuvia Sweetener
- ½ tsp (3g) pink salt
- 1. Line the bottom of a bread tin or tray with baking paper and set aside.
- 2. Place the cacao butter, Nuvia Sweetener, and salt in a heat proof bowl that will fit inside of a saucepan.
- 3. Set the bowl inside a saucepan of hot water. Melt over low heat ensuring that it stays below 43 degrees C. Stir occasionally with a spatula. This can take 5 or so minutes until the cacao butter is completely melted.
- 4. Once melted, sift in the cacao and carob. Stir until completely smooth.
- 5. Remove the bowl from the saucepan of hot water and place it on a tea towel on a heat proof surface.
- 6. Place the puffed rice into a large bowl and pour over the melted chocolate.
- 7. Stir well, making sure to coat all the rice puffs.
- 8. Spread the mixture evenly into your lined pan. Place another sheet of baking paper on top of the mixture and press down as firmly using a spatula, making sure the mixture is evenly spread.
- 9. Pop your tray of crispy bars into the freezer for 20 minutes and then store in the fridge.
- 10. Use a sharp knife to slice into bars and enjoy!
For an alternative way to serve these, why not use mini cupcake cases? Simply spoon the mixture into your cases (suggest lining these inside a cupcake tin) and once all your cupcake cases are filled, place them in the freezer for 20 minutes and then store in the fridge. Easy!