Green leafy vegetables are one of the best things you can consume. Why have I chosen kale over the other options like spinach, rocket and lettuce? While these options are great, they can be difficult to prep in advance because they go soggy! Kale is so robust that it keeps really well in the fridge for a few days, and it is brilliant at absorbing flavour. Here we’ve paired it with chickpeas and tahini for a delicious vegetarian option that’s filled with protein and calcium, and you can boost it in any way you like – add a can of tuna for a protein boost, or serve on top of sourdough toast for a more filling vegetarian option.
CHICKPEA SMASH SALAD
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 457 (1828)
- Carbs: 30.9 (123.8)
- Fat: 33.1 (132.4)
- Protein: 14.1 (56.2)
- Fibre: 14.2 (56.8)
- Sugar: 3.6 (14.7)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed, leave roughly chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 45ml (3 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 2 avocados
- Sea salt and pepper
- Optional additions
- Tinned tuna in olive oil
- Sourdough bread, toasted
- Rice crackers
- 1. Prepare the kale by placing in a large bowl with vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Using your hands, massage the kale until it’s coated in juices, and is soft and reduced in size. Kale is a pretty tough vegetable so don’t be afraid to get some elbow grease in there.
- 2. Add in the chickpeas and tahini and continue massaging with your hands. In the process the chickpeas will break apart, absorbing the flavour of the salad and the tahin will get dispersed through the salad.
- 3. Add in the pepitas and toss to combine. Store this mixture in the fridge for lunch assembly throughout the week.
- 4. To pack your lunch box, place the salad into a container and serve with ½ an avocado, and either a can of tuna or some toast to go with (or both!). To serve add an extra drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.