We’ve jam-packed this super simple cake with heaps of natural ingredients. All you need is one bowl and one electric mixer – here’s to minimal post-baking clean-up!
CARROT CAKE WITH CARDAMOM FROSTING
- Nutritional Breakdown: whole recipe
- Cake ingredients
- Calories: 3983
- Carbs: 155
- Fat: 351
- Calories: 1242
- Carbs: 9
- Fat: 119
- Protein: 53
- Sodium: 454
- Sugar: 45
- Protein: 18
- Sodium: 926
- Sugar: 9
- Makes 1 tier carrot cake (using a 20cm cake tin)
- CAKE INGREDIENTS
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 2 tbsps Nuvia Sweetener
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsps pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely grated
- 150g (1 cup) diced fresh pineapple*
- 1 ½ cups self - raising flour
- ½ tsp each ground cinnamon, mixed spice and nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup full fat sour cream*
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING INGREDIENTS
- 50g butter (it needs to be very soft, suggest leaving at room temperature)
- 3 tsps Nuvia Sweetener
- 250g full fat cream cheese, softened, roughly chopped*
- 1-2 tsp ground cardamom
- Walnuts to decorate
- FOR THE CAKE
- 1. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease the sides and line the base of a deep sided 20 cm cake pan with baking paper.
- 2. Whisk the oil, Nuvia Sweetener, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and creamy.
- 3. Change to a paddle attachment and add the carrot, pineapple, flour, coconut, spices and sour cream.
- 4. Mix on a low speed until just combined.
- 5. Spread mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top evenly.
- 6. Bake for 1 hour, then cover top with a sheet of foil, securing the sides and bake a further 35 minutes or until cooked through (run a skewer through the middle to check it’s baked).
- 7. Stand for 5 minutes before removing the cake from the pan and allow to completely cool on a cake rack.
- 8. Turn your cake over making the bottom of the cake the top. Spread your sponge topping with the frosting and scatter over the walnuts.
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 1. Beat the butter in a bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment for 3 minutes or until fluffy.
- 2. Pour in the cream cheese, cardamom and Nuvia Sweetener and blend until combined.
- 3. Store your carrot cake in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
We suggest avoiding tinned pineapples as these regularly contain added sugar, syrups and/or additional ingredients. You can buy a full pineapple and freeze any overs in a container or glad wrap. Frozen pineapple is great for a cool summer drink, homemade ice-cream or smoothie too.
Sugar-free sour cream and cream cheeses tend to have added sugar in. A full fat version will likely contain fewer ingredients and have a lower sugar content.