Doesn’t everyone love a good black forest cake? With it’s creamy filling and delicious cherries, it is hard to resist sometimes. However no one wants the excessive sugar and that’s why I’ve created this guilt free black forest log cake for you to enjoy without the worry.
BLACK FOREST LOG CAKE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 127 (1270)
- Carbs: 6.225 (62.25)
- Fat: 8.12 (81.24)
- Protein: 5.3 (52.81)
- Sodium: 0.34 (3.36)
- Sugar: 3.2 (32)
- Preparation and cooking time: 40 minutes plus 2 hours chilling time
Serves 10 people
- Log cake
- 1/3 cup flour, plain
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup Nuvia sweetener
- 5 eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 125g cream cheese
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup cherries, pitted, (if cherries are out of season, then use maraschino cherries)
- 1 tablespoon Nuvia Sweetener
- 1.5 teaspoons gelatine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the log cake
- 1. Preheat oven to 190° C.
- 2. Grease and line a 36cm x 26cm shallow baking pan.
- 3. Combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer for approx. 5 minutes. Add Nuvia sweetener gradually, beating until mixture is thick and creamy.
- 5. Fold in flour mixture and spread evenly into prepared baking pan.
- 6. Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until top springs when lightly touched. (Be careful not to overcook the cake as it will be difficult to roll later).
- 7. Turn cake out immediately onto a sheet of baking paper sprinkled with cacao powder and slowly peel off baking paper.
- 8. With a tea towel placed underneath, slowly roll the cake into a log with the towel and baking paper and allow to cool for approx. 1 hour.
- For the cherry filling
- 1. Place cream cheese, yogurt, Nuvia sweetener and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- 2. Place gelatine powder in a small bowl and mix with 2 tablespoons water.
- 3. Place the bowl containing gelatine in a larger bowl with hot water and continue stirring until gelatine has completely dissolved.
- 4. Add dissolved gelatine to cream cheese mixture and mix through until well combined.
- 5. Roughly chop the cherries and fold through the mixture.
- To assemble the cake
- 1. Unroll cake from towel, leaving baking paper underneath.
- 2. Spread cream cheese mixture over entire cake within 2 cm of the edges.
- 3. Slowly roll cake back up to form a log.
- 4. Placing seam side down, trim edges, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 5. If desired, decorate chilled cake with chocolate ganache, cherries and chocolate shards or simply dust with cacao powder and serve.
Covered with cling wrap or placed in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Can be stored in the freezer for up to 2 months in an airtight container wrapped in a freezer bag. Simply and allow to sit at room temperature for approximately 1 hour before serving.