Vegetarian? No problem! Simply omit the chorizos and chicken stock and add vegetable stock instead.
BEAN & CHORIZO SOUP
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 717.25 (2869)
- Carbs: 70 (280)
- Fat: 23 (92)
- Protein: 26.25 (105)
- Sodium: 1653 (6612)
- Sugar: 16.75 (67)
- Approximate preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
- 4 chorizos chopped (from the cold meats section or deli) These come in one size and do not need to be peeled
- 3 celery sticks, diced (including leaves)
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2-3 long red chillis, finely chopped (with or without seeds depending on heat preference)
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups diluted Chicken stock
- 3 cups water
- 2 400g cans Four Bean Mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 400g can Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups green beans, chopped in approx. 2cm lengths
- Fresh parsley chopped and shaved parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1. Place the chopped chorizo in a large pot on a medium heat and cook until browned and oils are released, stirring occasionally (approx. 5 minutes).
- 2. Add diced carrot and celery and for cook for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
- 3. Add crushed garlic and chilli and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to ensure the garlic does not burn.
- 4. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, water and bring to the boil.
- 5. Once boiling, add the four-bean mix, chickpeas and green beans, cover and simmer for approx. 15 minutes or until green beans are just tender. Season.
- 6. Serve garnished with chopped parsley, shaved parmesan cheese and crusty bread.
Can be stored in the fridge for 3 days. Alternatively, freeze any uneaten soup in airtight containers placed in plastic bags for up to 6 months.