The method is easy, the ingredients are simple and with only 2 bananas (plus one more for decoration), this banana bread is the perfect sugar-free breakfast loaf.
For added crunch you can use either raw almonds or cashews – they add a delicious flavour and texture to this loaf.
Serve thickly sliced toasted or fresh from the oven with coconut butter spread on top. Swoon.
SUGAR-FREE BANANA BREAD
- Nutritional Breakdown: whole recipe
- Calories: 3236
- Carbs: 335
- Fat: 182
- Protein: 83
- Sodium: 2923
- Sugar: 69
- Makes 1 loaf
- 50g butter, very soft room temperature
- 1 ½ tbsp (approx. 26g) Nuvia Sweetener
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 2 large very ripe bananas, roughly smashed
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups (300g) self - raising flour
- 1 cup (100g) almond or cashew meal
- ¼ cup sour cream or natural yoghurt mixed with 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 banana, sliced lengthwise for decoration
- 20g slithered almonds
- ½ teaspoon Nuvia Sweetener, extra
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, for dusting
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (electric) or 160°C (fan). Line the base and sides of a large deep loaf pan with baking paper.
- 2. Cream the butter, Nuvia Sweetener and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer for 5 minutes or until light and creamy, wiping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- 3. Pour in the oil slowly and beat a further 2 minutes.
- 4. Add in the banana and beat for 1- 2 minutes or until the mixture is looking smooth and fluffy.
- 5. Drop in the eggs one at a time beating well in between each addition. The mixture should look light and fluffy.
- 6. Gently fold in the flour, almond meal and sour cream then increase the speed of the mixer and beat for 30 seconds.
- 7. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and lightly press the banana slices into the batter. Scatter over the almonds and cinnamon.
- 8. Bake for 50 minutes or until golden and cooked through. If not cooked through, cover with foil and cook a further 10 minutes (this steams the loaf through to the centre).
- 9. Stand for 5 minutes before inverting from pan. Sprinkle with the extra Nuvia Sweetener and cinnamon.
The creaming of the butter and Nuvia sweetener and then the oil and banana is essential to the delicious texture created in this recipe.
The bread will keep well for up to 3 days in a sealed container.