A healthy take on a classic middle eastern favourite. This baklava will leave you asking for more without the guilt!
SUGAR-FREE BAKLAVA WITH CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Calories: 187.86 (8454)
- Carbs: 19.55 (880)
- Fat: 10.31 (464)
- Calories: 38.81 (1747)
- Carbs: 1.03 (47)
- Fat: 4.11 (186)
- Protein: 4.06 (183)
- Sodium: 148.93 (6702)
- Sugar: 1.08 (49)
- Protein: 0.3 (14)
- Sodium: 1.41 (64)
- Sugar: 0.1 (5)
- Approximate preparation and cooking time: 1 hour plus cooling
Makes approximately 40-48 pieces
- FOR THE BAKLAVA
- 1½ cups walnuts, coarsely ground
- 1½ cups almonds, coarsely ground
- 1⁄3 cup Nuvia Sweetener
- 2 tsps ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cloves
- 375g filo pastry
- 250g unsalted butter, melted
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 400ml coconut cream
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¾ cup Cacao powder (unsweetened), sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- FIRST CREATE THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
- 1. Place all ingredients into a saucepan and over a medium heat, bring to just under boiling point. Whisk thoroughly, ensuring there are no lumps. Allow to cool slightly before pouring into a squeezy bottle or piping bag to pipe over baklava.
- FOR THE BAKLAVA
- 1. Place the walnuts, almonds, Nuvia Sweetener, cinnamon and cloves in a bowl and stir until combined. (Leftover nut mixture will be used to top the baklava after it is cooked).
- 2. Place filo pastry under a tea towel to keep it from drying out.
- 3. Using a pastry brush, brush melted butter over one filo sheet, then place another sheet directly over the top.
- 4. Brush second filo sheet with melted butter. (make sure the edges are brushed well).
- 5. Sprinkle approx. 2 & ½ tablespoons of nut mixture over the filo.
- 6. Using a long, thin stick, line it up on one edge of the filo pastry, and roll the filo around the stick (but not too tightly as this will make it difficult to remove off the stick).
- 7. Carefully push the filo pastry on the stick towards the centre from both ends to create a scrunched effect and slide off, straight into a deep rectangular baking tray or oven proof dish approximately 25cm by 35cm.
- 8. Continue this process, until all pastry is used and the dish is full. (The pastry should fit snugly together with no gaps in between).
- 9. Brush with remaining butter and place in preheated oven for approx. 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- 10. Allow to cool.
- 11. Once cooled, cut into approx. 5cm lengths and place on a baking tray in rows.
- 12. Using a squeezy bottle, pipe chocolate ganache over baklava and top with additional chopped nuts.
- 13. Allow chocolate to solidify before serving.
- 14. Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.