Rice paper rolls are the perfect example that eating healthily doesn’t have to be tasteless, complicated and boring. We usually serve ours with our sweet chilli sauce marinade tofu but you can easily swap tofu for chicken, prawns or smoked salmon to remove the cooking side of things! A great, healthy lunch box filler, picnic spread, entre or DIY dinner packed with flavour and heaps of healthy mix and match ingredients. Our kind of soul food.
RICE PAPER ROLLS WITH SWEET CHILLI TOFU
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Rice paper rolls
- Calories: 137 (685)
- Carbs: 22.2 (111)
- Fat: 2.8 (14)
- Tofu marinade
- Calories: 33.4 (167)
- Carbs: 4.6 (23)
- Fat: 1.4 (7)
- Protein: 6.6 (33)
- Sodium: 164.6 (823)
- Sugar: 3.4 (17)
- Protein: 0.2 (1)
- Sodium: 477.8 (2391)
- Sugar: 4.2 (21)
- Serves 5
- RICE PAPER ROLLS
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned or grated
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1x 300g block of firm tofu
- 10 sheets of rice paper
- Black or white sesame seeds
- TOFU MARINADE
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or gluten free soy)
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- DIPPING SAUCES
- Homemade hoisin dipping sauce
- Spicy peanut sauce
- Vietnamese dipping sauce
- OPTIONAL GARNISHES
- Crushed raw, unsalted peanuts
- Slices of avocado, cucumber or red cabbage
- 1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees and line a baking tray with paper.
- 2. Combine soy sauce, olive oil and sweet chilli sauce in a bowl and mix well.
- 3. Slice the tofu lengthways (approx. 2.5cm wide) and arrange on a baking tray.
- 4. Coat each piece of tofu with the sweet chilli marinade, turn and repeat, making sure both sides are coated (be gentle as even though it’s firm tofu, it’s still quite delicate and can break easily).
- 5. Place in preheated oven and bake for approx. 10-15 minutes until browned, remove from oven, turn tofu over carefully and return to oven for a further 10-15 minutes.
- 6. Remove and allow to cool. Once cooled, slice into long strips.
- 7. Assemble your rice paper rolls by soaking individual rice paper sheets in a bowl of tepid water for approx. 10 seconds (it should be completely soft and flexible).
- 8. Remove and place on hard surface such as a wooden board.
- 9. Arrange tofu, capsicum, carrot, spring onions, bean sprouts and mint leaves and sesame seeds over rice paper roll, allowing approx. 2.5cm on either side for folding over to enclose filling (if you want to add a sauce inside your rolls, add your selected dip once all fillings are arranged).
- 10. Fold ends in and roll up firmly. Repeat with remaining rice paper and fillings.
- 11. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with one or a variety of dipping sauces.
To use chicken as your protein in place of tofu:
Slice two chicken breasts into strips and coat with the sweet chilli marinade. Cook in a frying pan over a medium heat until cooked through. Assemble as per instructions above.