It’s nearly Chinese New Year! Enjoy your pineapple tarts this festive season with our easy to make, sugar-free variety.
Perfect for anyone wanting a healthy spin on this delicious classic tart.
- Nutritional Breakdown: per portion (whole recipe)
- Pineapple jam
- Calories: 16.66 (200)
- Carbs: 4.33 (52)
- Fat: 0 (0)
- Tart base
- Calories: 21.17 (254)
- Carbs: 1.25 (15)
- Fat: 1.5 (18)
- Protein: 0.16 (2)
- Sodium: 0.33 (4)
- Sugar: 3.33 (40)
- Protein: 0.5 (6)
- Sodium: 0.75 (9)
- Sugar: 0 (0)
- Approximate preparation and cooking time: Up to 2 hours
Makes 12 small pineapple tarts
- PINEAPPLE JAM (makes 200g jam)
- 400g fresh pineapple
- ¼ tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp Nuvia Sweetener
- TART BASE (makes 12 mini tart bases)
- 3 tsp butter (cold, cubed)
- 3 tsp oats
- 1 tsp almond flour
- 4 ½ tsp wholewheat flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Egg wash
- FOR THE JAM
- 1. Finely chop the pineapple and place over a medium heat in a large sauce pan. After 10 minutes once the pineapple is soft mash it with a fork or masher.
- 2. Add cinnamon and stir it well.
- 3. Add Nuvia Sweetener to taste.
- 4. Cook the mixture for 20 to 30 minutes until the mixture reduces to a jam consistency (it should have thickened and not be watery).
- 5. Take the jam off the heat and allow to cool completely (if you are in a rush it can be moved to a new bowl to cool faster).
- 6. After the jam is cooled, roll them out into small balls to prepare for the assembling.
- FOR THE TART BASE
- 1. Add all the flours to a bowl and mix together. Using your finger tips rub the butter into the dry mixture.
- 2. When the mixture resembles a coarse crumbly texture, add the egg yolk.
- 3. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky (a little water/extra flour could be added if not).
- 4. Shape into a disc and wrap with cling wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 5. Roll out until about a coins thickness with a floured rolling pin onto a floured flat surface and use the mould to shape the tart base.
- 6. Brush with egg wash.
- 7. Bake the tart base at 170° C for 8 minutes.
- 8. Remove from oven and place pre-rolled pineapple jam in the centre.
- 9. Bake for another 5 minutes or until golden brown.
These pineapple tarts are best stored in air tight containers.
TIPS AND TWEAKS
To make this recipe vegetarian, replace butter for vegan butter or coconut oil.
Consume within a week or refrigerate and consume within a month.